Best RV Roof Coating and Sealants
RV roof coating and sealants are among the most essential and crucial products for your recreational vehicle’s maintenance, care, and life-span. An RV roof coating seals, weatherproof, and waterproofs the roofs of RVs, campers, trailer-homes, and such vehicles.
Long time RV owners lay testament to the fact that a well-cared, well maintained, and dependable roof eliminates three quarters of the hardships and costs associated with RVs’ durability.
RV roofs are usually made out of rubber, aluminum, or fiberglass. Rubber roofs are the most common, and they are what most RV roof coating products cater to specifically. Aluminum roofs are similar to rubber roofs in that they also require the same amount of care and attention, if not more. Fiberglass roofs are more resilient to weather, water, and cracks but cannot be left unattended year long.
Why do you need RV Coatings and Sealants?
RV roof coatings provide a layer of protection from the elements in nature, including dust, rain, winds, debris, leaves, twigs, snow, and harsh UV rays. An excellent, effective roof coating helps prevent cracks in the roof, prevents molds and leakages, and protects the base roof membrane against decay.
They are especially important along with the linings of pipes, windows, and air conditioning, where most leakages and cracks originate. RV roof coatings are also used to fix tears and cracks as a sealant. Roof repair work is mostly never complete without roof coatings, which seal and coat the roof against nature’s damage.
A recreational home is not an affordable investment for most people. Operating and living expenses are also hefty if not optimally managed. It should be vital that we protect and care for the individual parts of our home-on-wheels like the roof, and minimize the maintenance and the operating costs to provide the biggest bang-for-the-buck when camping living in recreational vehicles.
Obviously, for maintenance purposes, RV roof coatings are crucial for the ‘roof over our heads.’ Leakages, cracks, and moisture in the roof membrane can start as a slight discomfort but quickly make it almost impossible to live inside an RV. Moreover, energy costs often take the most significant chunk of the overall running expenses when living inside an RV.
Again, leakages and cracks in the roof or along the seams of protruding pipes and windows let the air conditioning escape from the insides of an RV, which drive up energy costs.
RV roof coatings (EPDM rubber or silicon) work as a weatherproofing, waterproofing sealant against potential cracks, tears, decay, and motorizing of the roof of an RV. They not only help make the roof durable and protected against degradation; they also help seal in the air-conditioning to prevent leakages and keep the energy consumption low.
In addition to this, urethane and silicone types RV roof coatings offer a high reflectivity, which protects against harsh UV rays and keep the RV roof from heating up in sunlight, which again pushes down energy costs. Acrylic type roof coatings are less expensive than silicone and urethane, but their best do provide minimal reflectivity.
Be sure to clean your roof first using a good RV Wash product.
11 Best RV Roof Coatings on the market
We have taken the challenge to research through the RV roof coating products most popular and critically acclaimed by a wide range of diverse RV users, to see how they stack up against water, dust, snow, high winds, and the general shifts in temperature all year round.
Below we have listed the products we think are the best when it comes to RV roof coating in terms of protection, water resistance, sealability, reflectivity, durability, and ease of applying.
1. Liquid Rubber RV Roof Coating – Solar Reflective Sealant, Trailer and Camper Roof Repair, Waterproof, Easy to Apply, Brilliant White, 1 Gallon
Liquid Rubber RV roof coating is a flexible, protective sealant that is relatively easy to apply and makes for an environmentally friendly roof coating. Meant for rubber roofs and aluminum roofs, in 3 relatively thick coats, it provides a resilient adhesive rubber-line thick coat on your roof, sealing in the cracks and protecting against sunlight, rain, dust, debris, and snow.
Liquid rubber RV roof coating works well for all conditions, but the application weather preparations must be followed at the application time. This should not be applied on a humid, rainy day.
Most users complain about it not sticking well in such conditions. Hence make sure the prepping conditions are right. Overall this product makes for a good, if not the best, roof coating, protective, strong thick layering, reflective, and flexible. You cannot help but like this product if applied the right way and in the right conditions.
Probably one of the most critically approved and popular products on the Market for RV roof coating, Heng’s Rubber-based roof coating is easy to apply. It fills in the cracks and seals vents and air conditioning to a very high degree of satisfaction.
Many roof coatings tick these boxes but maybe not to this high degree of reliability as maybe Heng’s Rubber roof coating does.
The application process involves first having the roof of your RV cleaned as best as possible, most people prefer a car wash, but it can be done yourself with some effort. Then you have to let it dry out before cleaning it again with a degreaser like Simple Clean.
After that, you seal in all straight and squared edges with Eternabond Tape, mostly around the pipes, vents, air conditioning, antennas, and other protruding materials whose edges are prone to cracking and leakages.
Then all that’s left is applying the product with a standard roller and paint tray. After a single coat, you must let it dry out before applying the second and third coat. Hopefully, you should have chosen a sunny day because moisture during the application process affects the product’s drying.
RC5000RV is a Liquid apply RV roof coating perfect for RV roof repair or coating the entire roof. A 10 Year system warranty is available when you follow our ten-year system guidelines. The product is high solids, high build, and will not cause your roof to swell or bubble-like other solvent-based products.
It creates a 20 mil watertight seamless membrane over the entire roof. 10 Year System Requirements Make sure the entire surface is clean, dry, and structurally sound. Before application of the first coat:
- Cut in around all penetrations and seams.
- Embed polyester fabric.
- Coat the entire RV roof twice (including the area you cut in).
By doing so, this will create a three-layer reinforced system at the most vulnerable portions of your roof and a two-layer, 20 Mil system everywhere else.
- 20 Mil Dry Film Thickness
- Covers 100 Sq. Ft. Per Gallon Per Coat. 2 Coats Required
- Highly Reflective White Color
- Bonds to EPDM, TPO, PVC, Hypalon, and Fiberglass with NO Primer
- We will ship 20′ of repair fabric via USPS with each order
4. Liquid Rubber RV Roof Coating – Solar Reflective Sealant, Trailer and Camper Roof Repair, Waterproof, Easy to Apply, Brilliant White, 5 Gallon
Highly Flexible and Solar Reflective
Liquid Rubber RV Roof Coating is highly flexible once cured. With elongation, you don’t have to worry about minor movements destroying all your hard work. Your roof will be protected from the sun’s harsh rays and stay cool simultaneously, being the coating is solar reflective.
Easy to Apply
Skip the hassle and cost of hiring someone and make it a DIY project. Apply by using a brush or roller. It’s so easy. Anyone can do it.
This nature-friendly product allows for endless possibilities of usage. When you need a watertight seal, think Liquid Rubber. Use on all RV Roofs. For hard-to-stick surfaces like EPDM (Rubber sheet-like membrane), use Liquid Rubber EPDM primer to promote adhesion. For PVC surfaces, use Liquid Rubber Multi-Purpose Primer. Liquid Rubber RV Roof Coating can be used on other projects around the home, mobile homes, camper, trailer, metal roofs, flat roofs, gutters, sheds, foundations, planter boxes, interior basements, fences, stucco, wood, concrete, metal, and more…
- Safe for you, your family, pets, and plants
- No solvents or VOC (volatile organic compounds)
- Usable indoors and outdoors
5. Liquid Rubber RV Roof and EPDM Rubber Primer – Weatherseal Camper and Trailer Roofing Coating 1 Gallon
Liquid Rubber EPDM Primer is a rubber polymer water-based roofing primer, and like its name, it’s been designed explicitly for EPDM surfaces. EPDM Rubber is extremely hard to stick to without a quality primer. This primer does not react with atmospheric moisture allowing it to be opened and resealed for use later.
- WHY EPDM PRIMER – EPDM Primer is a rubber polymer water-based roofing primer designed to bond with EPDM surfaces.
- RV ROOFING MAINTENANCE – Weatherproof RV roofs and other EPDM rubber surfaces by first applying this EPDM Primer before applying the actual waterproof sealant or seam tape
- EASY TO APPLY – Apply using a conventional brush or roller equipment; may also be sprayed using a delivery system and nozzles appropriate for this material
- APPLICATION – All surfaces should be clean, dry, and free of contaminants that may result in a surface that is uneven or not sound
- FOR A BULLETPROOF SYSTEM – Liquid Rubber RV Smart Cleaner before Primer application; EPDM Primer improves adhesion for Seam Tape and other Liquid Rubber RV Roof Coating
6. Rexoseal RV Roof Restoration Kit for RV’s up to 40′ Long – Waterproofing and Protective RV Roof Coating Sealant – White, 5 Gallon
Rexoseal RV Roof Coating Sealant is a high-quality white elastomeric liquid. Our RV Rubber Roof Sealant/Coating works well on rubber (TPO & EPDM), metal, plastic, vinyl, wood, foam, fiberglass, and aluminum roofs. Our RV Roof Coating Sealant for RVs is an easy do-it-yourself system with instructional videos available. Rexoseal will save you thousands on your next repair or replacement of your RV Roof.
Advantages of Rexoseal’s RV Roof Coating Sealant System
- Rexoseal has 55-60% More Rubber Content than other Cheaper Coatings. More Rubber Content in Rexoseal Sealants makes for a more Durable and Longer-Lasting Seal.
- Rexoseal is a Water-Based Sealant that doesn’t need to be applied all in one day, unlike other coatings that need to have a catalyst mixed in, forcing you to complete the job in a short time frame.
- Rexoseal is an Easy, User-Friendly Do-It-Yourself System that offers step-by-step Instructional Videos.
- NO special tools or skills are required with Rexoseal Coatings!
- Rexoseal is Safe To Work With and easy to clean up with just soap and water!
- Rexoseal doesn’t give off any smelly fumes like other coatings.
- Extremely tough with added UV Protection to withstand extreme environmental conditions.
- The Coating Maintains Flexibility in extreme hot and cold weather conditions.
- Rexoseal DOES NOT chalk and washes off, leaving no white streaks on the sides of your RV.
- Your roof will look good when finished, and it will stay that color with NO Fading or Yellowing!
- This product can be applied over Rubber (TPO & EPDM), Wood, Metal, Aluminum, and Fiberglass.
- Seams will be completely sealed, and you will never have to use caulking again.
- Easy maintenance for the life of the roof.
It is a top-rated RV roof coating product among those who have tried it. Jetcoat Cool King provides an acrylic type elastic coating to an RV’s roof, which is reflective, seals cracks and tears, and protects the roof membrane against the harsh elements.
Users are initially concerned that the consistency of this liquid is relatively runny compared to others. As the manufacturers say, two coatings are necessary, and the third one is highly recommended.
This should be applied on a day when the temperature is above 60 degrees Fahrenheit. It takes about 3 hours to dry, but wait another couple of hours after drying before applying the second coating.
8. Ziollo RV Flex Repair Tape | White | 4-inch x 50 Foot Roll | Seal and Waterproof Roofs | Bond to EPDM Rubber with Butyl Sealant | Seam | Vent | Skylight | Flashing | Motorhome | Trailer | Camper |
The Ziollo RV Flex Repair tape can be used for sealing and waterproofing RV roofs. It has a butyl sealant of Teflon, making it an excellent option to stick to any surface that is not silicone-based. It bonds very well with EPDM and rubber surfaces.
This RV roof tape also works well with Caulking sealants. This Repair tape comes with a Seam Roller, which makes the butyl adhesive stick firmly on the surfaces and takes care of any bubbles or air gaps.
The adhesive layer is tricky to use in warm temperatures. Putting the tape in the refrigerator before using it works well. The adhesive side needs to be exposed by peeling off the plastic covering, but it isn’t easy to do in warmer temperatures.
Hence, if the tape is cooled before using, it works without a lot of effort. It would be best if you cooled it before using it, but not freeze it. Once applied, the tape stands well against direct sunlight and does not peel off.
The RV roof coating tape material also remains flexible and non-stiff in cold weather. Apart from being tricky to work with, this Roof tape does its job entirely to repair any damages or cover any seams that may be leaking—making it reliable for roof protection.
The Kohree RV Sealant Tape is a Roof seal tape used for RV repairing, window sealing, camper roof leaks, etc. It works great in all weather. The UV technology makes it resistant to temperature changes and also protects it from direct sunlight. The firm and sticky adhesive acts as a self-priming seal.
This RV roof coating tape protects against moisture, toxic chemicals, and water or air leakages of any sort. The Roof tape works well with many kinds of materials, such as metal, EPDM, PVC, TPO, and rubber roofs. The process is straightforward and easy.
The non-sticky paper edges ensure that the tape does not stick with the covering it arrives in. Another benefit of using Kohree RV Sealant Tape is that its adhesion will increase over time, making it last for years. One can paint over this roof tape and caulk it for sealing it completely.
The EternaBond RSW-4-50 RoofSeal tape comes in three variants: 2″, 4″ and 6″ widths, and all are 50 feet long. The RV roof coating tape is 35mm in thickness. This adhesive is considered one of the stickiest available in the market, making it stand out from an array of products.
The UV protection allows the roof tape to withstand sunny weather and hot temperatures. It works on all kinds of surface material, be it rubber, metal, TPO, EPDM, or any surface. The sealant adhesive comes with a built-in primer and synthetic resins, making it sustain any water damage.
The easy application of this roof tape makes it perfect for repairing any damages or leakages. Another fantastic feature of this Roof seal is that it can easily sustain weather changes because of its elongation factor, making it an all-rounder roof maintenance and coating product.
11. Camp’N – RV Roof Tape – 4″ x 50′ – Weatherproof Patch/Repair/Seal for Rubber and EPDM Roofs (Our Pick)
This RV roof coating product has a fair amount of adhesive, which becomes apparent when the plastic back is peeled off. The application process is straightforward, but the adhesive might stick to the protective coating hands in warm temperatures.
It works well for rubber and EPDM roofs and can also be used on metal roofs. The white coating may peel off in some cases, but the adhesive still protects from the water leaks. I
t is an affordable roof sealant that works on a variety of materials. The temperature range for this tape sealant is not wide, but it will prevent water and air leaks in the roof.