RV Cleaning Made Easy: Simple Steps to Clean Your Exterior Like a Pro
Regularly washing your RV travel trailer is important to maintain its appearance and prevent damage. Over time, dirt, grime, and other debris can accumulate on the exterior of your RV, which can cause damage to the paint and finish. Additionally, suppose you live in an area with harsh weather conditions or near the coast where salt water can cause corrosion. In that case, regular washing is essential to prevent rust and other forms of damage.
When washing your RV travel trailer, using the right cleaning products and techniques is important. Avoid using abrasive cleaners or scrubbers that can scratch the surface of your RV. Instead, use a soft-bristled brush or sponge and a mild detergent specifically designed for use on RVs.
In addition to washing the exterior of your RV travel trailer, it is also important to clean the interior regularly. This includes vacuuming carpets and upholstery, wiping down surfaces with a damp cloth, and cleaning appliances and fixtures.
Regular maintenance and cleaning of your RV travel trailer will help it look its best and extend its lifespan. By taking care of your RV, you can ensure it will provide you with many years of enjoyment on the road.
Gather the necessary cleaning supplies.
You will need several cleaning supplies to clean the outside of your RV. Here’s a list of the necessary cleaning supplies:
1. RV Wash and Wax: This is a specially formulated soap designed to clean and protect the exterior of your RV. It will remove dirt, grime, and other contaminants while leaving behind a protective wax coating.
2. Microfiber Towels: You’ll need several microfiber towels for washing and drying your RV. These towels are soft, absorbent, and won’t scratch the surface of your RV.
3. Sponge or Soft Bristle Brush: A sponge or soft bristle brush can apply the RV wash and wax to your RV. Be sure to choose a soft-bristled brush that won’t scratch the surface of your RV.
4. Bucket: You’ll need a bucket to mix the RV wash and wax with water.
5. Hose: A hose with a spray nozzle attachment will be needed to rinse off the RV wash and wax.
6. Rubber Gloves: Rubber gloves protect your hands from harsh chemicals in cleaning supplies.
7. Extension Pole or Ladder: An extension pole or ladder may be needed to reach high areas on your RV.
It’s important to note that you should always follow the manufacturer’s instructions when using cleaning supplies on your RV. Using the wrong products or techniques can damage the exterior of your RV.
- For Kitchens and Bathrooms: Aqua-Clean is designed to work with RV, boat, or domestic kitchens and bathroom.
- Multi-surface Use: Aqua-Clean Kitchen & Bath Cleaner cleans countertops, sinks, showers, tubs, toilets, and any other hard surface.
- Safe on Surfaces: The non-abrasive formula is safe on plastic, porcelain, fiberglass, and system seals in your RV, boat, or home.
- No Scrubbing Necessary: Aqua-Clan's foaming action ensures a no-waste application that clings to the surfaces dissolving dirt and grime without the need for scrubbing.
- Cleans Soap Scum and Hard Water Spots: The Kitchen & Bath Cleaner safely removes soap sum, rust stains, and hard water spots.
- Easy-to-use Toilet Bowl Cleaner formula designed specifically for marine and RV toilets
- Requires no hard scrubbing - Lubricates valves and seals while it cleans
- Eliminates odor without interfering with most holding tank treatments
- Safe for use on all plastic and porcelain bowls - Will not harm plastic, rubber seals or metallic parts
- Star brite products have been made with pride in the USA since 1973
- RV Holding Tank Rinser: Powerful rotary cleaning action dislodges and flushes stubborn waste deposits and odor-causing particles leftover after your RV’s holding tank is emptied; Helps keep sensors clean for accurate readings; Ideal for use on holding tanks that are offset from the toilet
- Flexible Reach: Flexible section is ideal for use with offset basement holding tanks
- Simple to Use: Features a standard ¾-inch female garden hose connection to attach to most garden hoses
- Features: One-quarter turn shut-off valve provides simple flow control; Easy grip handle offers a comfort grip; Includes all-brass moving parts
- Dimensions: Solid section (including handle) measures 24-inches long; Flexible section measures 34-inches long with a 2-inch diameter nozzle
- ✓ Upgrade 3th Generation MEXEERIS Floor Mop - Unlike other brand mop, MEXERRIS microfiber mops for floor cleaning never stop updating our microfibre mop quality stand on customer’s side. Reinforced stainless steel poles applied thicker and high purity material, sturdier and rustless. Upgrade premium ABS microfiber dust mop head connector, say no to cracking! Increased gravity on the microfiber dust mop plate, perfect solve the flip over problem when mopping!
- ✓ Cleaning with Ease – 360 degree rotating microfiber hardwood floor mop head for full direction cleaning solution. With this flexible Swivel Head, you could reach out narrow place that you can’t cleaning before, like under the couch, up on windows.The sturdy and well constructed handle is extendable so the floor mops for cleaning can adjust the height you want. No more bend over cleaning, no more hiding stains or dust in your house with our professional microfiber mops for floor cleaning.
- ✓ Reusable 4 Pack Microfiber Floor Mop Pads - Come with 4 pcs cost saving reusable mop pads, which is easy to take off and put on. Superior microfiber material features high water absorption, attracts and keeps hold of dust and dirt from your floor like a magnet. Microfiber mop pads can be washable and reusable, no self-wringing needed. you can always have a spare while one is in the wash. microfiber dust mops come with a Dirt Removal Scrubber, help you to remove dirt from the pads easily.
- ✓ Dust Mop and Wet Mop – Thanks to the durable high quality microfiber Pads, efficient in both dry and wet use, dry as a dust mop for floor cleaning for collecting dust and cleaning dirt, dog, cat and other pet hair, and use as a wet mops for floor cleaning to clean wooden floor, hardwood, vinyl, linoleum, cement, tile, laminate, stone and concrete floors.
- ✓ Buy with Confidence – Choose the best performance microfiber mop pad to achieve better water absorbing and removing dirt at mininal efforts, applied reinforced stainless steel poles for long life span, all parts material are strictly selected by our technical team to ensure your excellent shopping experience. We offer 12 months no hassle money back or replacement from the date you received if you are not happy with our product!
Last update on 2023-05-04 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Washing & Waxing the Exterior of Your RV
Washing and waxing the exterior of an RV is an essential part of RV maintenance. Regular washing and waxing keep the RV looking shiny and new and protect the exterior from damage caused by exposure to the elements. Here are some steps to follow when washing and waxing your RV:
1. Start by rinsing the RV with water to remove loose dirt or debris.
2. Use a mild soap designed for RVs to wash the exterior thoroughly. Avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive cleaners that can damage the paint or finish of the RV.
3. Use a soft-bristled brush or sponge to scrub away any stubborn dirt or grime, paying close attention to particularly dirty areas, such as the wheels and undercarriage.
4. Rinse the RV thoroughly with clean water to remove all soap residue.
5. Dry the RV with a soft, clean towel or chamois, starting at the top and working your way down.
6. Once the RV is completely dry, apply a coat of wax using a soft cloth or applicator pad. Be sure to use a wax specifically designed for RVs and follow the manufacturer’s instructions carefully.
7. Allow the wax to dry completely before buffing it off with a clean cloth.
It’s important to note that washing and waxing an RV can be time-consuming, especially for larger RVs. However, regular maintenance will help keep your RV looking great and protect it from damage caused by exposure to the elements.
- Cleans and waxes in one step
- Contains caranuba wax for great protection
- Does not remove previously applied wax
- No streaking or water spotting from use
- 12plus YEARS OF CLEAN and SHINY VEHICLES – Extreme Wash plus Wax has been available on Amazon since 2010 and consistently getting the best ratings and reviews (14,000plus and growing). There are other Wash and Waxes on the market, but none of them perform like Extreme Wash and Wax. Don’t believe us. Check out the reviews and ratings on this page.
- FOAM AND SHINE – The key to a clean car or a complete detail starts with a great wash. The best way to wash your car, truck, SUV, RV or Jeep is to use a product that creates a lot of foam. Extreme Wash plus Wax produces thick, dirt fighting bubbles that help clean any vehicle.
- BUCKET, FOAM GUN OR CANNON – Whether you are washing with a wash mitt and bucket, a foam gun connected to your garden hose or a foam cannon connected to your pressure washer, Extreme Wash plus Wax is the right car wash soap to deliver loads of foam and suds to get a great wash.
- BEGINNER AND PROFESSIONAL DETAILER FRIENDLY – Chemical Guys makes products for beginners and experts alike. Chemical Guys products are professional grade to get the best results and are also simple enough for even a beginner to achieve immediate results. This soap was made in the USA.
- CONCENTRATED – A little bit goes a long way. Just add 1-3 oz. of Extreme Wash plus Wax to a 5 gallon wash bucket or to a 32 oz. solution tank for your foam cannon or foam gun and you are ready to experience a foam frenzy.
- RV/MARINE WASH: Safely and quickly removes boat scum, dirt, salt spray, grime, bird droppings and other fresh surface contaminants without stripping wax protection
- GENTLE FORMULA: Rich emulsifying wash with high sudsing action gently and effectively removes contaminants without excessive scrubbing
- BRILLIANT GLOSS: Blends rich conditioners with optical brighteners to enhance the brilliance and gloss of your marine/RV gel coat surface
- BIODEGRADABLE: pH balanced with biodegradable detergents that preserve wax protection
- COST-EFFECTIVE SIZE: Larger 1 gallon container is more convenient and cost-effective for larger boats and RVs
- Cleans and enhances shine in one step; PTEF polymers enhance shine and add UV protection to help prevent fading;
- Concentrated formula is tough on dirt yet economical to use; a few capfuls cleans a full-size RV
- Specifically formulated to remove road grime, bug debris, dust, mud and more
- Will not remove wax or polish or harm decals
- Safe for all exterior RV surfaces; Non-toxic, biodegradable formula
Last update on 2023-05-04 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Detailing & Polishing the Exterior of Your RV
Polishing the exterior of an RV is an essential part of maintaining its appearance and protecting it from environmental damage. The process involves removing any dirt, grime, or oxidation from the surface of the RV and restoring its shine and luster. Here are some steps to follow when polishing the exterior of your RV:
1. Apply a polish: Once the RV is dry, apply a polish to the surface using a soft cloth or buffer. Many types of polishes are available on the market, so choose one suitable for your RV’s exterior. Apply the polish in a circular motion, working in small sections simultaneously.
2. Buff the surface: After applying the polish, use a clean cloth or buffer to buff the surface of the RV until it shines. Remove any excess polish from the surface before moving to the next section.
3. Repeat as necessary: Depending on the condition of your RV’s exterior, you may need to repeat this process several times to achieve the desired result. If there are any stubborn stains or marks on the surface, you may need to use a more abrasive polish or compound to remove them.
In addition to these steps, some other tips can help you get the best results when polishing your RV’s exterior:
- Use a high-quality polish: Using a cheap or low-quality polish can do more harm than good by scratching or damaging the surface of your RV. Invest in a high-quality polish that is specifically designed for use on RVs.
- Work in small sections: Polishing your entire RV at once can be overwhelming and may result in uneven results. Work in small sections, focusing on one area at a time to ensure a consistent finish.
- Protect the surface: After polishing your RV, consider applying a protective coating or sealant to the surface to help prevent future damage from the elements. Overall, polishing the exterior of your RV is an important part of maintaining its appearance and protecting it from environmental damage. Following these steps and tips can keep your RV looking its best for years.
Protecting & Maintaining
Protecting and maintaining your RV is crucial to ensure its longevity and functionality. You can take several steps to protect and maintain your RV.
Firstly, it is essential to keep your RV clean. Regular cleaning helps prevent the buildup of dirt, grime, and other debris that can damage the exterior of your RV. It would be best to use a mild soap and water solution to clean your RV’s exterior thoroughly. You can also use specialized cleaners for specific RV parts, such as the roof or wheels.
Secondly, you should inspect your RV regularly for any signs of damage or wear and tear. Check the roof for any leaks or cracks, examine the tires for any signs of wear, and inspect the electrical and plumbing systems for any issues. Addressing these problems early on can prevent them from turning into more significant issues down the line.
Thirdly, storing your RV properly when not in use is crucial. Store your RV in a covered area to protect it from the elements if possible. You should also cover your RV with a high-quality RV cover to protect it from UV rays and other environmental factors.
Additionally, regular maintenance is essential to keep your RV running smoothly. This includes regular oil changes, tire rotations, and brake inspections. Following the manufacturer’s recommended maintenance schedule for your specific RV model is also important.
In conclusion, protecting and maintaining your RV requires regular cleaning, inspections for damage or wear and tear, proper storage when not in use, and regular maintenance.
How often should I wash the outside of my RV?
The frequency of washing the outside of an RV depends on various factors such as weather conditions, usage, and storage. However, washing your RV at least once every three months is generally recommended.
Regular washing helps to maintain the appearance and prolong the lifespan of your RV. It also helps to remove dirt, grime, and other debris that can cause damage to the exterior of your RV over time. Additionally, washing your RV regularly can help prevent the buildup of harmful chemicals and pollutants that can cause corrosion and other damage.
Using the right tools and cleaning products is important when washing your RV. You should use a mild detergent specifically designed for RVs and avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive materials that can scratch or damage the exterior surface of your RV.
In addition to regular washing, waxing your RV at least once a year is also recommended. Waxing helps protect your RV’s exterior surface from UV rays, dirt, and other environmental factors that can cause damage over time.
In summary, washing your RV at least once every three months and waxing it at least once a year is generally recommended. However, the frequency may vary depending on various factors such as weather conditions and usage.
Can I use household cleaning products to wash my RV?
No, using household cleaning products to wash your RV is not recommended. While some household cleaning products may be effective in removing dirt and grime, they can also damage the exterior of your RV. Household cleaning products are not formulated for RVs and can strip away protective coatings, fade paint, and cause other damage.
Instead, you should use cleaning products that are specifically designed for use on RVs. These products are formulated to be gentle on the exterior of your RV while still effectively removing dirt and grime. They are also designed to protect the finish of your RV from damage.
When choosing a cleaning product for your RV, it is important to read the label carefully and follow the manufacturer’s instructions. Some products may be designed on specific surfaces, such as fiberglass or aluminum, while others may be suitable for use on all surfaces.
In addition to using the right cleaning products, it is also important to use the right tools when washing your RV. Soft-bristled brushes and microfiber cloths are gentle on your RV’s exterior and can help prevent scratches and other types of damage.
Do I need to wax my RV after washing it?
Yes, it is highly recommended to wax your RV after washing it. Waxing your RV helps to protect the exterior from harmful UV rays, dirt, and debris. It also helps to maintain the shine and appearance of the RV.
When washing your RV, using mild soap and a soft sponge or cloth is important to avoid scratching the surface. After washing, make sure the surface is completely dry before applying wax. Many RV waxes are available on the market, including spray-on, liquid, and paste waxes. Choose a wax specifically designed for use on RVs and follow the manufacturer’s instructions for application.
Regular waxing can help extend the life of your RV’s exterior and protect it from damage caused by environmental factors such as sun exposure, rain, and wind. It can also make future cleaning easier by providing a smooth surface that repels dirt and grime.
In conclusion, while it may not be necessary to wax your RV every time you wash it, regular waxing can provide significant benefits in terms of protection and appearance.
Can I use a pressure washer to clean my RV?
Yes, you can use a pressure washer to clean your RV. However, it is important to use the correct pressure setting and nozzle to avoid damaging the exterior of your RV. A pressure washer with a maximum pressure of 2,000 PSI and a wide-angle nozzle is recommended. Additionally, avoiding spraying directly at seams, vents, or other areas where water could enter the RV is important.
Using a pressure washer can be an effective way to remove dirt, grime, and other buildup from the exterior of your RV. It can also save time compared to traditional hand-washing methods. However, exercising caution and following proper safety procedures when using a pressure washer is important.
In addition to using a pressure washer, it is recommended to use RV-specific cleaning products and tools such as soft-bristled brushes and microfiber towels. Regular maintenance and cleaning of your RV’s exterior can help prevent damage and prolong its lifespan.