Complete Guide To Portable Fire Pits for Camping
One of the prime reasons for having an RV is that you can travel anywhere you, please. And when camping in National Parks, or just stopping in a remote and deserted spot, one of the things that you will normally want to have is a fire. Portable fire pits are not only cleaner but safe to operate.
The problem is that building a traditional fire with wood is such a chore and a hassle. First, you must gather the wood, which is near impossible in some places, or the surrounding wood is soaked due to previous rains.
Enter the Word of Portable Fire Pits.
- 🔥 FIRE SENSE SPORTY CAMPFIRE PORTABLE GAS FIRE PIT: Plan your next trip to include the Sporty Campfire Portable Gas Fire Pit, a compact and campsite-friendly fire pit packing an impressive 60,000 BTU capacity and fully adjustable flame.
- 🔥 PORTABLE GAS FIRE PIT: Spring-hinged legs and a removable lid with secure clamps make this 15” diameter fire pit convenient to pack in the smallest car trunk for a weekend getaway or an impromptu picnic on the beach. The Sporty Fire Pit comes with lava rock for attractive looks and flame dispersal, as well as a regulator and hose to attach the pit to your own standard propane tank, which is not included.
- 🔥 FEATURES: Heat resistant painted steel | 60,000 BTU’s | 15” Diameter fire bowl | Legs fold for easy portability | Locking lid | Lava rock included | Regulator and 5' hose included | Propane stand included | Uses standard 20 lb. propane tank - not included.
- 🔥 ASSEMBLED DIMENSIONS: 15"Dia., 15"H Weight: 18 lb.
- 🔥 IDEAL FOR OUTDOOR SPACES: Spring-hinged legs and a removable lid with secure clamps make this 15” diameter fire pit convenient to pack in the smallest car trunk for a weekend getaway or an impromptu picnic on the beach. This fire pit is the perfect addition to any outdoor environment. Not only can you have a small campfire in your own backyard and roast marshmallows, but also enjoy time outside during the winter.
- Premium Material: Lineslife portable grill and fire pit is made of high quality food-grade stainless steel. It is rust-proof, anti-corrosion, strong and durable. It's not easy to be deformed to ensure long-term use.
- Foldable Design: Open size: 12.8x12.8x11.6inches/32.5x32.5x29.5cm. Folded size: 14.2x13.4x1.6inches/36x34x4cm. Net weight: 8.6lbs/3.9kg. Suitable for 2-6 people’s gathering. It can be folded to 1.6” thick and fits in a backpack.
- Unique Details: There are 8 air vents around the sides of flatpack grill body, which improve the cooking efficiency. Besides, the removable charcoal mesh and ash pan facilitate the cleaning of the grill much. Also designed with a stable base to safely contains fire and keeps fire off the ground.
- Multifunctional Use: The collapsible camping fire pit can be worked as bbq charcoal grill or outdoor fire pit. It is suitable for starting a BBQ outside or setting up a warm bonfire to enjoy a pleasant night with your family or friends. Ideal for camping, traveling, hiking, picnic, patio, garden, party and so many occasions.
- Portable & Quick to Setup: The backpack grill only contains 4 parts. Because of its tool-free installation process, you can set up and fold it with seconds. Compact and lightweight, it can be stored in your backpack to carry to anywhere you want.
- Largest Solo Stove - Coming in at 27 inches, the Yukon out measures all other Solo Stove fire pits, creating the hottest and most effective fire to make time with your friends and family richer.
- Secondary combustion - The camping stove has double wall design maximizes airflow and burning process. Bottom vent holes allow oxygen to the feed the fire from below while simultaneously channeling warm oxygen up between the walls of the stove and back into the fire.
- A more efficient burn - A more complete burn means the little particles that would have been smoke are burned up by the top vents. It also means no more half burned logs to deal with.
- No more shuffling from smoke - Since the Bonfire burns with almost no smoke, you'll spend less time dodging smoke and your clothes won't smell like campfire. You'll have more backyard or camping memories around the spectacular Solo Stove portable fire pit.
- Easy to use & portable - This camping stove singular construction completely removes the need for parts and assembly! Bring it from your backyard patio to camping, or tailgating! Great for RVs and campers! 27x17 inch size camping fire pit.
- Ideal Portable Steel Fire Pit: Keeping you fire off the ground and contained means you’re able to use the Adreak fire pit at those campsites that don’t allow fires on the ground and the tough 3mm thick steel means you know it’ll last.
- Take It Anyway: Four-plate design with laser-cut slots means that packing away, storing and transporting is easy. Comes with premium canvas fire pit bag to make transporting your fire pit even more convenient.
- Set up in Seconds: Simply slot each of the four pieces into each other, and you've got your sturdy fire pit ready to fill with firewood and light!
- Cooking Tray: Comes with cooking tray for outdoor heating and barbecue. Cooking tray made of ceramics can be freely disassembled and has the characteristics of harmless, anti-sticking, healthy, easy to clean and anti-rust. It is a material specially used for barbecue.
- Multiple Uses: Can be used as fire pit, BBQ grill, bonfire pit, perfect for your backyard, camping, bonfire, campfire, outdoor entertaining, beach, parties. Ideal gift for your friends or family.
- 【Safe & Secure】Crafted from heavy-duty iron, fire pit features a black coating that can resists high-temperatures. Sitting in front of a fire pit is a surprising way to unwind and relax, and you don't need to be a hiker or committed to camping in order to enjoy a good bonfire.
- 【Exquisite Design】The fire pit is divided into 6 pieces. The flame hole at the bottom ensure efficient combustion of wood or charcoal. The spark screen is surrounded by hollow elk, as if you are in nature. When you are camping outside, the beating sparks and elk can bring warmth
- 【Easy Assembly】Simple design, easy to assemble under the manual enclosed. All tool and accessories of the backyard fire pit you need are included. Overall dimensions: 15.8” (W) × 7.8” (H) × 15.8”(L)
- 【Perfect Gift】You can take this portable flame fire pit as a gift to your friend. If the firepits is too small for you, it’s also available in an L version.
- 【Take IT Anywhere】The INNOSTAGE outdoor fire pit has a diameter of 15.8”, allowing for easy transportation to your next bonfire, camping trip, party or outdoor picnic; The INNOSTAGE comes with a waterproof cover,when you no longer use it, you can easily store it
- Heavy duty 10ga thick rolled steel Grill swivels 180 degrees
- Two 1/2" thick anchor pins allow the Fire Ring to tip back for easy cleaning and to prevent theft
- 5 Lower Drain Holes to prevent rust and ventilate fire Upper draft holes provided ventilation for the fire High Temp Paint will prevent rust for years
- Cooking grate: 15.5" x 19.5" (300 Sq. in.) Height: 7 3/4"
- Available in three different sizes.
- PERFECT NO MESS CAMPFIRE: Forget about dirty ashes and expensive firewood and enjoy a clean and smokeless fire in your backyard, beach, or lake, tailgates, camping trips, and more
- 19-INCH PORTABLE FIRE PIT BOWL with a heat output of 58,000 BTUs; comes with a 10-ft hose with a regulator to easily connect with your standard BBQ propane tank
- CONVENIENT & EASY TO SET-UP & TRANSPORT: Easy assembly, no tools required; comes with UV & weather resistant cover, fabric strap handle for easy and comfortable transport, and propane tank stabilizer ring to keep the tank from falling while fire bowl is in use.
- SELF-IGNITING (AUTO IGNITION) - No need to purchase a lighter; this fire pit comes with a self-igniting piezo system
- NATURAL LAVA ROCKS enhance the flickering effect of your flame; flame can be adjusted with the chrome valve knob
- PORTABLE AND EASY TO TRANSPORT – The Firecube is our smallest, lightest and most portable fire pit yet. Travel sized propane fire pits are a must have outdoor centerpiece for camping trips, RV travels, tailgating get-togethers, beach parties, and family evenings on the backyard patio or small balcony
- SMOKELESS FIRE PIT – Say goodbye to messy dirty ash and bothersome smoke. With the firecube you can enjoy a clean realistic campfire, all powered through propane. Our all-weather mini propane fire pit with a total output of 58,000 BTU/HR delivers a clean and smokeless flame with a cozy warmth
- BEAT THE CAMPFIRE BAN – With CSA approval, the Firecube is safe to use during most campfire bans; always check with the current fire restrictions in your area
- SIGNATURE OUTLAND LIVING QUALITY: Durable high-quality steel construction with a protective enamel finish for dependable longevity with a superior stainless-steel burner, fasteners and contemporary decorative belt make for a long lasting, good looking fire bowl. Make new memories with friends, in comfort and style anywhere outdoors, with the Outland Living Firecube
- COMPLETE FIRE PIT KIT – Includes Fire bowl, Cover and Carry Kit, pre-attached 10-Ft hose to keep your standard 20-Lb propane tank cylinder (not included) safely out of sight, fully adjustable regulator with chrome sleek knob and bezel for varying flame height, and 4.4-Lb natural lava rocks set designed to enhance flickering effect
Last update on 2022-12-05 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
What is a portable fire pit?
A portable fire pit is a close-knit cousin to barbecues. Although you don’t cook over them, you enjoy the warm ambiance. Portable fire pits, typically around 20 to 40 inches in diameter, resemble a short, stubby barbecue without the grill.
In most cases, they have a steel enclosure that lifts the fire off the ground and a mesh metal screen surrounding it.
There are fundamentally two types of fire pits: wood and portable propane fire pits.
While at home, many traditionalists often prefer wood fire pits. However, in an RV, since you do not have to worry about rounding up wood while roaming the countryside or taking up space in your RV for firewood, propane fire pits are much more popular.
What about safety?
Another reason that propane fire pits are preferred is due to fire safety. The fire goes out when you turn the gas off on a propane fire pit. While with a wood fire pit, the wood continues to burn and could potentially get out of control.
When it comes to fire safety, you, first of all, need to know the law. Each park or national forest area is allowed to set its regulations, and during times of high fire danger, you often cannot use any fire device.
However, the sole exception is that there are often areas set aside for creating a fire at designated areas within the campgrounds; propane fire pits are ideal in these cases.
If you stay at a private campground, these campgrounds will often have separate rules, but they are usually allowed since propane fire pits offer so much fire protection.
And in many locales, propane fire pits are allowed even when there is a fire ban on wood fire pits.
How much do propane fire pits cost?
Typically, a propane fire pit at the low end will run around $120 to around $150. And naturally, there are plenty of propane fire pits in the $200 or higher range at the higher end.
However, keep in mind that larger fire pits are generally designed for home use, and space is often limited on the road in an RV. Therefore, you might prefer one of the smaller models.
How does a propane fire pit work?
The fire pit is connected via a hose to the burner’s refillable 20-lb propane cylinder.
The burner sits in a pan, and it’s usually surrounded by lava rocks, ceramic logs, or fire-resistant material.
To start a propane fire pit, you turn on the gas from the control valve, just as you would turn on a propane burner, and then light it with a portable fire starter.
You can use a wooden match, but a footlong, portable fire starter is safer.
A 20-pound propane tank will typically last from 3 up to 6 hours for a fire, and a refill will run you roughly around $20. So theoretically, if you have that fire burning for two hours, it will cost you roughly $5 per fire.
Can you make your propane fire pit?
Yes, you can, but there are caveats.
To create your own DIY propane fire pit, you need to find the right burner, ventilation, and flex lines for the whole thing to work properly.
There are numerous YouTube videos on creating such a propane fire pit, but the average RVer wants something that is extremely well made and controls the fire perfectly.
Therefore, we highly recommend you spend a few dollars more and buy rather than attempt to make your propane fire pit.
Many propane fire pits on the market are independently approved for fire safety, so when you buy a CSA-approved fire pit, you know you are getting the very best.
How long can you expect a portable fire pit to last?
As long as you follow the manufacturer’s instructions, you can expect a portable propane fire pit to last several years. Just be sure to get all the propane fittings checked out annually.
How much heat does a propane fire pit give out?
Typically, even the less expensive propane fire pits will put out 50,000 or more BTUs. However, that is not extensive. It’s equivalent to having a gas barbecue with all four burners.
Sitting fairly close to the firepit will be ideal for a small family, but it won’t heat enough air for ten or more at an outdoor party.
But part of the problem is that the more BTUs you have burning, the faster your propane tank will drain, and in addition, if you want to have a lot of BTUs, it’s not suitable for an RV.
Are there different types of propane fire pits?
Besides the different styling and the different sizes, fire pits have different starting methods.
More expensive propane fire pits operate with electronic ignition. You turn on the gas, and an electric switch lights the fire pit automatically. So the fire with a fire pit with electronic ignition is instantaneous.
With a manual ignition propane fire pit, you have to light up the burner after turning on the propane.
When purchasing a portable fire pit for camping, you must consider the ignition system.
Most RV campers use a manual ignition model because it is much cheaper.
- PORTABLE OUTDOOR BRAZIER PORTABLE AND CONVENIENT: This product adopts a foldable design, does not take up space, has a carrying bag, and is very suitable for camping.
- PORTABLE OUTDOOR BRAZIER METAL MATERIAL: The fire pit is made of thick steel and the surface of the brazier is sprayed with black high temperature paint, which is heat resistant and rust resistant.
- PORTABLE OUTDOOR BRAZIER SAFETY: The fire pit has 4 heavy duty legs to ensure its stability and the product has a spark screen for added protection against flying sparks.
- PORTABLE OUTDOOR BRAZIER VERSATILE USES: Portable outdoor braziers can be used for backyard bonfires, camping, beaches, parties, and are suitable for use in all seasons.
- PORTABLE OUTDOOR BRAZIER Precautions: Keep children and pets away from fire pits and do not touch hot braziers with your hands. To prolong the life of your fire pit, do not put ice or water in the brazier. (check the user manual for more tips)
- Perfect no mess campfire: with our fire pit say goodbye to dirty ash, expensive firewood, and bothersome smoke and enjoy a clean realistic propane fire pits for outside. The perfect outdoor fireplace for camping trips, RV travels, tailgating get-togethers, beach parties, and family evenings on the backyard patio.
- Compact and easy to transport: Travel size fire pit is lightweight and portable; Easily set up in minutes with no tools required. Lower profile increases the functional heat radius while new Helios burner technology ensures a fuller and more natural flame. All-weather fire bowl, outdoor fire pits delivers a clean and smokeless flame with cozy warmth and beautiful evening ambiance. Measures L 21” x W 21” x H 9.5” with total output of 58,000 BTU/HR.
- Beat the campfire ban: CSA approved fire pit is safe to use during most campfire bans; Always check with the current fire restrictions in your area. Spark free propane campfire helps protect campgrounds and forested areas with a safer easy-to-use fire option. No assembly required
- Complete fire pit kit: Includes cover & carry kit, pre-attached 10-ft hose to keep your standard 20-lb propane tank cylinder (not included) safely out of sight, fully adjustable regulator with chrome valve knob for varying flame height, and 4.4-lb natural lava rock set designed to enhance flickering effect. Optional accessory of Cypress carry bag 762 available separately.
- Signature outland living quality: Durable high-quality steel construction with protective enamel finish for dependable longevity; Superior stainless steel burner and fasteners. Outland Living has outdoor living perfected so you can create the perfect ambiance to share stories and good times. Make new memories with family and friends, in comfort and style anywhere outdoors, with the outland firebowl premium propane fire pit.
- Brighter Flame: Enjoy the fun of traditional wood burning. DLLHOP portable fire pit allows you to get the same warmth as a fireplace when you go out. Compared with propane gas fire pit, this fire pit can blow up a raging flame without the need for a propane tank, making it a good partner for your outdoor activity
- Stainless Steel Mesh: The quad-fold 304 stainless steel mesh can withstand more violent burning without any damage. The larger aperture ensures full airflow, for smoother combustion and less smoke
- Exceptionally Portable: The folding size is L 23.6” x W 7.1” x H 7.1”, and the weight is only 8.7 lbs. It can be easily carried by one hand or be put into the trunk of your car. You can effortlessly set up the fire pit in 1 minute without any tools
- Easy to Clean: The heat shield can collect scattered sparks and fallen ashes, preventing accidental fire or leaving burning traces on the ground. Put the ashes into the garbage bag after use to keep the ground clean and tidy
- Thickened Board: The ember guard prevents sparks from splashing around, making it safer to burn. The thickened 1.5mm board is more solid and durable, can withstand more fires without deformation. Attention: Don’t put the burning wood on the board
- As seen on Shark Tank: Radiate Portable Campfire was featured on Season 9 of CNBC’s Shark Tank, coming away with 3 offers. The Sharks loved it and you will too
- Portable and Convenient: Bring it with you anywhere! The Radiate Portable Campfire weighs only 4lbs and is 8" wide, making it the hassle-free outdoor fire pit you can use wherever life takes you. Bring a little warmth and a lot of fun hiking, camping, glamping, to the beach, on picnics, to the backyard patio, to tailgates, on RV adventures and road trips, or anywhere else you’d want to gather around a bonfire
- Eco-Friendly and Made in the USA: Radiate is made from recycled soy wax and recycled paper briquettes, to minimize our footprint
- Easy to Use and Reusable: Radiate is as simple to light as a candle, producing minimal soot and no embers. Avoid the stress of collecting firewood or the risk of your camping stove running out of propane. Instead enjoy 3+ stress-free hours of burn time and warmth with Radiate
- One Match, No Cleanup: Light the recycled paper briquettes using a lighter or match until the fire spreads completely. Slide the lid back on to smother the flame and extinguish. Let the container cool down completely before handling
- TABLETOP FIRE PIT UNIQUE DESIGN: The XIOYIG tabletop brazier is made mostly of concrete and has a smooth and beautiful appearance. The base is made of marble, making the tabletop brazier more beautiful, and the marble base helps to disperse the heat generated by flint in the process of use, which can effectively protect your table and surface from the heat generated by fire.
- ETHANOL FIRE PIT EASY TO USE: Simply add 70% or 91% isopropyl alcohol as fuel to burn, then use an extended lighter or long match to ignite, and when the fuel has burned clean, put it out with a flat fire extinguisher in the box.
- PERSONAL FIREPLACE LONG COMBUSTION TIME: the combustion time can be up to 90-120 minutes after the fuel is poured into the alcohol combustion chamber, Solid alcohol and liquid alcohol can be used. The higher the purity of alcohol combustion, the longer the combustion time,without adding fuel frequently, and the alcohol combustion chamber is equipped with alkali free glass fiber cotton felt to help ignite the flame, prolong the combustion time, it can be recycled.
- CONCRETE FIRE PIT SAFETY FIRST: Stainless steel insulation effectively played the cooling effect, stainless steel alcohol combustion cup can avoid fuel leakage, fire extinguishing can be safe and fast extinguishment of the fire as long as the flat fire extinguisher will be the combustion chamber cover
- SMOKELESS FIRE PIT VTABLETOP FIRE PIT ERSATILE: The XIOYIG tabletop brazier is small and convenient for indoor and outdoor use. It can be used to make delicious snacks, and add a fire atmosphere to your parties, festivals, negotiations and other occasions. Do not add fuel during alcohol combustion!
Last update on 2022-12-05 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Are there other elements to consider?
One of the important elements is hose length. You want your hose to be around 8 to 10 feet from the propane tank. If the hose is shorter, you risk a disaster.
Another element to consider is the base. The base should be strong to prevent your fire pit from tipping over.
Most of the cheaper propane fire pits have a simple round, circular base at the bottom of the unit, which is okay but should be supported. Always carry about two heavy rocks with your portable camping unit to ensure there is no chance the unit will tip over.
Also, pay attention to the size of the tank the unit uses. The standard-sized tank is the 20 lb propane tank. But some of the smaller units use smaller tanks.
This may be ideal if you don’t use your fire pit a lot because you want to save space in your RV. Just realize, however, that when you have a fire pit with a smaller tank, you will not be able to sustain the fire as long, and most units with smaller tanks are not interchangeable with larger tanks.
Finally, as we mentioned earlier, buy a CSA propane fire pit. They are the gold standard for safety. And above all, at least once a year, have your unit checked to ensure there are no propane leaks.