Table of Contents
RV Solar Kits
An RV Solar Kit is the need of the time. With the ongoing hike in the prices of utilities like fuel and electricity, people want options that can lower their cost of living. Electricity is one thing without which people cannot operate. Its usage cannot be restricted as everything available nowadays run on electricity. The hike in its prices is affecting people’s savings and buying power. Solar Kits have been introduced in the market for some time now to combat this issue.
These Solar System kits are not only useful in running your home or office but RVs as well. If you are planning to get a motorhome, campervan, or caravan, you don’t have to worry about how to operate it without an electricity generator. In this article, you will learn about the RV solar system, which is here to save you the cost of electricity and fuel required to run an RV.
We have picked the top five RV System Kit that is reliable and proven to be efficient. These top picks will help you select the right RV solar kit for your traveling adventures.
1. Renogy 200 Watt 12 Volt Monocrystalline Solar Panel Starter Kit with 2 Pcs 100W Monocrystalline Solar Panel and 30A PWM Charge Controller for RV, Boats, Trailer, Camper, Marine, Off-Grid System
The Renogy 200W Solar Power Starter Kit is perfect for new customers wanting to get a start in solar. The Starter Kit is great for off-grid applications, such as RVs, trailers, boats, sheds, and cabins – providing many benefits, including, but not limited to, quiet power production and grid independence. Adding a polycrystalline or monocrystalline solar panel kit can extend your travels further.
This solar kit comes with the tools necessary for a new system: two Renogy 100W 12V Poly/ Mono Solar Panels, one 30A PWM Wanderer Charge Controller, one 20ft 10AWG Solar Panel Connectors Adaptor Kit, one 8ft 10AWG Tray Cable, one set of Solar Panels branch connectors and two sets of Z-brackets. Start your solar adventure with a Renogy Starter Kit.
- Wide Application: 800Wh daily output depends on the 4 hours of sunlight availability. This panel is suited for applications that require a smaller footprint, making it a favorite for those with RVs, campers, and more!
- Excellent Performance: 21% High solar cell efficiency. Corrosion-resistant aluminum frame for outdoor use, allowing the panels to last for decades as well as withstand high winds (2400Pa) and snow loads (5400Pa)
- Multiple Protection: Renogy Wanderer-Li is a 30A PWM solar charge controller that integrates efficient PWM charging to increase battery life and improve system performance. It can prevent the battery from overcharging, over-voltage, discharge, short circuits, and reverse polarity protection.
- Easy Installation: Pre-drilled holes and Plug&Play cables on the back allow for fast mounting。 And it supports three types of batteries: lithium batteries, lead-acid batteries, and gel batteries.
- Warranty: 5-year warranty and 24/7 technical support team. Contact us through Amazon whatever any questions or concerns you have.
Next on our list is this fantastic solar cum inverter system by Go Power! It is a complete power system designed especially for RVs. It is a solution to all power generation requirements while being on the move in your RV. This system includes everything; you name it, and it’s there. The best part about this solar system is that it produces 380Watts of solar energy.
The package includes components of solar panels, inverter, smart battery, and all installation hardware. The main feature of this solar kit is the two solar modules that can produce 380 watts of solar charging power. It also maintains the battery charge up to 18+ amps hourly. You can use your appliances without worrying about the batteries draining. You will certainly not find the need to carry a generator with you.
Coming to the inverter feature of this kit is highly impressive. The 2000-watt inverter charger combines with the 2000-watts of pure sine-wave AC power and a built-in battery to give you the ultimate solar energy experience. You can enjoy your appliances camping without worrying about running out of fuel for the generator. This solar kit is bliss for people who love to travel in their RVs.
- 380 watts of solar energy
- 2000-watt pure sine wave inverter charger
- Inverter charger remote
- The system can be expanded up to 510 watts of solar energy.
3. DOKIO 300W 18V Portable Solar RV Panel Kit (ONLY 0.9in Thick) Folding Solar Charger with 2 USB Outputs for 12v Batteries/Power Station AGM LiFePo4 RV Camping Trailer Car Marine
- Foldable and Light Weight – Easy to Carry: This solar panel photovoltaic packs 300W of power yet is only 0.9inch thick, Foldable Dimension 41x22inch, and weighs 17lb, making it easier to mount, transport, hang and remove.
- Complete Kit, Works Out of The Box: Solar charger for all 12V batteries, with its 18V optimum power voltage. Protection against: overcharging, overload, and short-circuit.
- Portable Design and Wide Applicability: 9.85ft (3m) cable length from panel to controller, For most power stations (Jackery,Goal Zero,Ecoflow,Access) and 12-volt batteries(AGM,LiFePo4,Deep cycle batteries),RV,car,boat,trailer,truck, camping,van,emergency power
- Powerful High Conversion Efficiency: With a high-efficiency monocrystalline solar cell, you will get greater power efficiency even though the panel is smaller than a traditional model. Maximizes system output by reducing mismatch loss.
- Well Packaged, Quick Delivery: Amazon US warehouse shipping,
4. ExpertPower 2.5KWH 12V Solar Power Kit | LiFePO4 12V 100Ah, 400W Mono Solar Panels, 30A MPPT Solar Charge Controller, 2KW Pure Sine Wave Inverter Charger | RV, Trailer, Camper, Marine, Off-Grid
ExpertPower is a Los Angeles-based supplier of Energy Storage Systems located in the heart of beautiful southern California. Since its establishment in 1987, ExpertPower has worked hard to earn its reputation as the most dependable business. Our product reviews are from actual customers who both appreciate and trust the quality they have come to expect from our products.
- LiFePO4: ExpertPower’s newest line of batteries – The No.1 Sealed Lead Acid Battery Seller on Amazon. Our LiFePO4 battery provides 2500 – 7000 cycles & a ten years lifetime with a built-in Battery Management System (BMS) that protects it from overcharge, deep discharge, overloading, overheating and short circuit, and excessive low self-discharge rate, ensuring up to 1-year maintenance-free storage. Built-in low-temp cutoff prevents charging under 23 °F (-5 °C).
- This Off-Grid Solar System Kit includes two 12V100Ah LiFePO4 batteries, 4 x 100W Monocrystalline Solar Panels and one 2000W Pure Sine Wave Inverter Charger, and one 30A MPPT Solar Charge Controller with BlueTooth, one pair 20ft 10AWG MC4 Solar Cables, one pair 6ft 12AWG Battery Cables, 4 x Solar Panel Mounting Brackets and one set Y Branch Adapter Cable.
- The 30A MPPT controller utilizes modern solar technology to maximize your solar array’s power generation by over 20% through sophisticated tracking and capture compared to PWM with auto-detects 12V/24V systems.
- The ExpertPower Pure Sine Wave Inverter/50A Charger is designed to meet the needs of all battery systems, including AGM, Wet, Gel, and LiFePO4, with eight profiles and built-in UPS functionality that automatically switches between shore power and battery power in an industry-leading 5ms.
- BMS-capable: Most Lithium batteries require BMS boards to protect the battery, but the controller can operate with BMS-less batteries through its diverse set of protection capabilities, including over-voltage, over-charge, low-voltage, deep discharge, and over-temperature compensation.
5. WEIZE 200 Watt 12 Volt Solar Panel Starter Kit, High-Efficiency Monocrystalline PV Module for Boat, Caravan, RV, and Other Off-Grid Applications
- High Efficiency: WEIZE solar panel is constructed with high-performance Monocrystalline solar cells that offer higher efficiency of up to 21% than Polycrystalline in bright weather conditions; it provides a long service life and is virtually maintenance-free.
- Durable: The anodized aluminum frames, tempered glass, and sealed junction box make the solar panel corrosion-resistant and weatherproof for superior outdoor performance.
- Versatile: The industrial-standard solar panel features a 36.4″ x 26.8″ x 1.2″ size, 2.6ft cable with connectors, produces 300-600Wh a day, generates 5.3 amp power, charges a 12-volt battery, ideal for RV’s, cabins, sheds, remote locations, and other small power generation needs.
- Installation Ready: Equipped with all necessary accessories that include: 1*30A PWM charger controller (intelligent protection against reverse polarity, overcharging, short-circuit, and reverse current.), one pair of 20ft extension cables, one pair of 8ft battery tray cable 1 set mount brackets and screws (Battery and inverter are NOT included).
- Warranty: WEIZE 200W solar panel starter kit aims for quality, followed up with quality customer service directly provided by the manufacturer. A satisfied solution will be given for ANY of your problems. Our support team is on standby for YOU.
How many solar panels do I need to run an RV?
It depends on the size of your RV and the amount of electric power you would generate. It depends on how many appliances you will carry with you and how much power they need to run. If you carry more appliances, it does not mean you need to get more solar panels or bigger ones.
The point of solar panels is to charge the batteries that will further give power to your RV. Getting more panels or high wattage won’t be useful as they will create excess power, which will go to waste. It would be best if you had solar panels that can create 30 amp-hours in a day; for that, 1-3 solar of 100-watt can do the job for you.
Are solar panels for an RV worth it?
Investing in solar panels for your RV is completely worth it. Solar panels work best during hot days when there is sunlight. But they work effectively on cloudy days as well. Solar panels work well in areas where there is lesser sunlight.
Another factor that makes getting RV solar panels worth it is that they rarely require maintenance. Only light cleaning is sufficient to make your solar panels work efficiently. Keeping in mind how many types of costs you will be saving once you invest in an RV solar kit, you will find it worth the expense.
What is the best solar panel for RV?
There are three kinds of RV solar panels, i.e., Mono-Crystalline, Poly-Crystalline, and Amorphous. These types vary because of the materials used in them and because of size and cost. The performance also differs. The best solar panel is the one that fits your requirements the best.
Amorphous is the cheapest of all options and delivers better performance, but its size is bigger than the other two. Mono-crystalline is the most efficient one, and it can produce more power in areas where it is low-light. Poly-crystalline is smaller than Amorphous but produces less power than Mono-crystalline.
What are the two main disadvantages of solar energy?
While an RV solar kit is packed with many advantages, it also has a few disadvantages. The first and foremost one is the cost. The purchase cost of the solar kit is comparatively high as other components have to be purchased with it, like batteries, inverter, wiring, and installation.
Another disadvantage is that it is dependent on the weather. Though solar panels still collect energy during rain and cloudy days, their efficiency drops significantly. As it does not collect energy at night, you want to consider a backup power generation system.
What will a 100W solar panel run?
A 100W solar panel can run a few devices that do not take up much power. It will be limited usage of power. The devices/appliances which you can use with a 100W solar panel are:
- Ceiling fan
- Lamps and lights
- Wi-Fi router
- Smartphone charging
- Laptop charging
A 100W panel cannot support heavy appliances like microwaves, heaters, and air conditioners. You will have to get more panels to use these appliances on solar energy.
A Quick Buying Guide for RV Solar System Kits
If you are wondering how to find the right solar kit for your RV, you don’t have to worry about it. This buying guide has all the information you need before leaping. You will know exactly what you should look for in an RV Solar Kit. Let’s look at the features of solar panels that can help improve your traveling experience.
Type of panels
There are three types of solar panels available in the market. Their efficiency varies according to the materials and cost. You have to look for a solar panel that suits your requirements. For example, Mono-crystalline panels can work well during cloudy and rainy days. If you plan to take your RV to an area with less sunlight, then you should get monocrystalline panels.
Flexible or Solid
Flexible panels are easier to install on curved surfaces but can be costly. If you have an RV with a curved roof, you might prefer a flexible one. Solid panels can be installed on curved surfaces. They are cheaper than the flexible ones but are only visible, unlike flexible panels.
Installation is another important factor that affects the performance of a solar kit. As it requires skill and tools to install a solar panel, you can do it yourself if you know. Otherwise, hiring a professional would be much better.
The charge controller is one of the most important components of a solar kit. It cuts off the charging when the batteries are full. It is also responsible for managing the flow of electricity from the batteries to the system of your RV. Make sure your kit includes this controller.
A battery monitor helps display the charge level available in the batteries. It is optional but can help improve the efficiency and handling of the power. You can use devices/appliances according to the charge available in the batteries. That way, you will never run out of power while on the go.
We tried to provide you with the best RV solar system kits with the highest market ranking. We also tried to provide you with all the information through our buying guide to make it easier for you to decide which brand to go for. All these RV solar system kits will enable you to enjoy nature and its breathtaking views without worrying about providing power to your appliances. You can now enjoy the comfort of your RV home without a generator’s noise and odor. Relish your peaceful time by being close to nature with the help of the RV solar system Kit.